Dog

Dog

Friday 17 November 2017

Making Time for Art

Nature's Mirror, acrylic, 12" x 16"

Blog 47

Since I started my part-time job as a German instructor in January, I have struggled to find time to paint, especially because I still teach in the evenings. With more than two hours of driving each day, I found it hard to find a new rhythm. With less time at my disposal for creative projects, my plan was to put aside three hours on Saturdays and Sundays. However, chores and visitors interfered with my plan. I got frustrated about my lack of creativity and missed the balance in my life. All I did was work. I knew I had to find a solution.

The first step was to accept that any artist has periods of more or less productive times for different reasons. Sometimes lack of recognition, low sales, a creative block, health or relationship problems can be the root of such creative breaks. Other times, it is due to a shift in priorities or a new focus on a different medium. Sometimes, it even helps to take a break to get a fresh start.

I did not intend to take a break and felt something was missing in my life. However, soon I also realized that it was not only painting that I was missing. Painting in my studio and the administrative part of my business are usually very secluded activities. My lesser availability had also resulted in me neglecting to spend time with the people that are important to me. During the Kamouraska painting trip, I realized that I needed both art and my connection to my family and friends.

I love my work, both my art business as well as my instruction of students, but I did not want to regret at some point that I missed out on doing what was important to me in favour of working. I started to make changes. I always thought that I would be too tired to paint after work but what I found out is, that I feel totally re-energized once I am in my studio. This gives me more options to paint. I also started meeting friends on Sunday afternoons, but instead of just having coffee and tea, we bring some craft or art project to work on while we are chatting.

I am quite happy that I also have every second Wednesday off at the moment, which gives me an extra day to paint and spend with my painting buddies. This gives me more flexibility, especially if I know I will have a busy weekend ahead.

At the end, it is not different from making time to exercise. You have to put it into your schedule and stick to it, but be flexible enough to realize that sometimes life gets into the way. Instead of giving up, it is important to get back into a routine and make time for the things and people that are important to you.

Winter Glow, Painting Parties, acrylic, 20" x 16"
 
If you feel, you could need some extra bonding time with loved ones, painting parties are a fun way to get together with family and friends to create lasting memories. If you are interested in learning more about painting parties and how to host an event for your family and friends (both adults and children), please go to my website at www.KerstinPeters.ca or contact me directly by phone (613) 316-1543 or by email to kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca. My focus is small parties (up to 12 people) to help you create memories and have fun with your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment