Dog

Dog

Friday 25 August 2017

Beautiful Places in my Neighbourhood – Part 4

Spring in Ottawa, acrylic, 11" x 14"

Blog 35



This is the last blog of beautiful places in my neighbourhood. There are so many picturesque spots in the Ottawa area that I could write about them infinitely. Unfortunately, I have not spent too much time in the Western part of the city. Most of my painting buddies are from the East area of town. When we go on a day trip, we think about whether we want to spend an hour and more in traffic before reaching our destination. As a result, we usually do not venture farther than downtown.



The Park Across the Street, acrylic, 14" x 11"
I've always wanted to paint in the Byward Market but so far I have been intimidated not only by the number of people moving around but also by the many sensations that make it difficult to concentrate on a fixed area. I have sketched in some of the small passages in the market area and even captured the big pumpkins that were decorated for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, but as far as painting on site is concerned, the closest I came is Major's Hill Park.

I have also painted in the gardens of the National Gallery of Canada but have to admit that I was not happy with the results. I don't even think I kept the paintings. Nevertheless, both the Taiga Garden as well as the Sunken Garden that leads to a path that zigzags up the hill toward Nepean Point are quite interesting. From Nepean Point you have a great view towards the Ottawa River, the Parliament buildings, and the Canadian Museum of History. Right now there is a competition going on for the redevelopment of Nepean point. The winning concept will be announced at the end of 2017. Did you even know that there is a garden inside the National Gallery containing trees and seasonal flowers? The Garden Court is especially lovely in winter when it is a small green oasis in an outside world that is covered in ice and snow.

All the above mentioned sights are worth the visit and offer lots of views to paint and sketch. Last winter, I sketched part of the Parliament Building from the warm shelter that the building of the Canadian Museum of History offered. I also spent time sketching part of the Parliament Building at different events at Parliament Hill.

The Ottawa Locks and the Rideau Canal offer further spots to spend time whether it is to reflect, watch the boats passing, bike, stroll or paint.

Victoria Island, acrylic, 11" x 14"
Then there is also Victoria Island, a place that is often missed when thinking about sights in the capital. The little island is on the Ottawa River between Ottawa and Gatineau. Not only do you have a great view towards Ottawa and Gatineau, you can also get a unique look at First Nation's culture at the Aboriginal Experiences site.

I am not sure whether you have been at the Mosaica horticultural event. It is still on my list of summer outings, but from the photos I have seen so far, it would also be a great venue to paint.

Fall in Gatineau Park, acrylic, 14" x 11"
There are also the many spots in Gatineau Park. Some of them would be hard to reach with my regular equipment but make great spots for watercolour sketches or even to just enjoy and take photos.

Writing this blog for the past four weeks has reawakened my memories of the spots that I fell in love with when I first visited Ottawa in the summer of 1995. It is time to be a tourist in my own neighbourhood again. I hope that by next summer, I will be able to recommend some new found treasures to you.

Thank you for reading my blog. If you enjoyed it please share it with family and friends.

Peacefulness, acrylic, 16" x 20"
Are you looking to add some original artworks to your home to bring you continuous joy every time you look at them? Right now, I am selling one of my paintings every week with a reduction of 15% off the original price. Shipping and handling fees are added, except if you pick up the artwork or live in the Orleans area. I usually do not discount my artworks, so this is a great way to buy an artwork you like while saving some money.

This week's painting is the "16 x 20" acrylic painting "Peacefulness", an image of the beach at Petrie Island at sunset. The painting is framed in a black frame. The original price is $420. You have until next Monday, August 28, 2017 at noon to purchase it for $357.

To buy the painting, please send me an email to kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca. Payment can be made in cash, by check or e-transfer. Photos of each new painting are posted every Monday on my website www.KerstinPeters.ca as well as on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KerstinPetersPaintings/.


©

No comments:

Post a Comment