Dog

Dog

Friday 18 August 2017

Beautiful Places in my Neighbourhood – Part 3

Tulip Festival, acrylic, 14" x 11"
Blog 34


For the past two weeks, I wrote about picturesque spots east of downtown Ottawa. This time, I am closer to the city centre. There are too many beautiful spots in downtown Ottawa to describe them all. The ones I have visit to paint are also just a small fraction of the spots I would still like to paint or at least visit for some sketching.

Tulip Magic, oil, 8" x 10"
The Commissioners Park at Dow's Lake is known by many for its breathtaking tulip beds which attract thousands of visitors each May. I have been there most years to paint the tulips. However, the park is also beautiful during the summer when thousands of annual flowers create a colourful feast for the eyes.



Then, there are the Ornamental Gardens that are part of the Central Experimental Farm. The Central Experimental Farm is 1,055 acres of open space in downtown Ottawa and borders the Rideau Canal. The Ornamental Gardens cover about 8 acres and are close to the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum. They are a gardener's and artist's dream with the beautiful rose gardens, hundreds of different lilac, iris and peony varieties. I have only painted there once, but it is high on my list of places to go for a future painting day.




Standing Proud, acrylic, 16" x 20"
Close to the Ornamental Gardens is the Arboretum. This area of mature trees and shrubs covers about 64.2 acres. While I have not painted on site, my painting “Standing Proud” was painted after photos I took during a visit.

Then there is the Fletcher Wildlife Garden, an attractive area of habitats for animals. It has been years since I last visited this part of Ottawa. Gathering the information for the August blogs has made me realized that I have not taken advantage of the richness of picturesque spots that our city offers. It also has given me ideas for future outings. I am now on a two week holiday. As I am not going on vacation, maybe I can get together with some of my painting buddies to rediscover the city.


Not far away are the Hog's Back Falls, a series of artificial waterfalls at the point where the Rideau Canal splits from the Rideau River. Officially they are called the Prince of Wales Falls but hardly anyone knows them by this name. They are located just north of Mooney's Bay, one of Ottawa's beaches. I have always wanted to paint them but so far I have only taken pictures.

Hopefully, my blog is encouraging you to visit some of the sights in our neighbourhood, if you live in the Ottawa area. If you live further away, Ottawa is definitely worth the visit.

If you enjoyed my blog please share it with family and friends. I would like to thank you in advance for your help to increase my audience.

Are you looking to add some original artworks to your home to bring you continuous joy every time you look at them? Right now, I am selling one of my paintings every week with a reduction of 15% off the original price. Shipping and handling fees are added, except if you pick up the artwork or live in the Orleans area. I usually do not discount my artworks, so this is a great way to buy an artwork you like while saving some money.

Rebecca's Pond, acrylic, 14" x 11"
This week's painting is "14 x 11" acrylic painting on canvas "Rebecca's Pond". The painting is framed in a gold frame. The original price is $375. You have until next Monday, August 21, 2017 at noon to purchase it for $318.75. The sides of the painting are painted in the colours of the painting. This painting is from my early plein air painting days, when I still painted outside with acrylic paints. It had the big advantage that I could work on a big painting like this without having to worry about any transportation issues.

To buy the painting, please send me an email to kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca. Payment can be made in cash, by check or e-transfer. Photos of each new painting are posted every Monday on my website www.KerstinPeters.ca as well as on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KerstinPetersPaintings/.

Thank you for reading my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment