Dog

Dog

Friday 11 August 2017

Beautiful Places in my Neighbourhood – Part 2

Late Summer Day at Petrie Island, oil, 8" x 10

Blog 33



For the month of August, I will write about some scenic spots in the Ottawa area that I have visited for plein air painting but that are also worth the visit. Hopefully, my blog inspires you to go out and explore or pack a picnic and relax.

Every day when I go to work, I drive along the Ottawa River and can admire the beautiful area around Petrie Island. I love this little gem of nature. I love looking at the smooth surface of the water on a calm and bright summer day, but I also enjoy watching the scene when the fog is rising or when frost has covered everything in a coat of white glaze. Then, there are the spectacular sunsets and the activity on the ice in the winter, when many fishing huts are creating a small village on the ice.If you go onto the island, you will find beautiful spots to watch the turtles, frogs, and birds. I am not so interested in the beach side of the island (except for having a picnic), but enjoy the wild vegetation on the west side of the island.

Lily Pads, oil, 8" x 10"
I have painted on the island in every season, but prefer the last summer and early fall days, when the colourful leaves are reflected in the water. Even though I have painted many Petrie Island sunsets, I had never painted them on site. A couple of weeks ago, I went with my watercolours but brought mixed media paper instead of watercolour paper. The result was not satisfying: the colours were rather dull as the paint was absorbed quickly into the paper, so quickly that washes were impossible. The colour basically stayed where it first touched the paper. Blending was not possible. I had planned to go back a week later to give it another try but the weather thwarted my plans. Hopefully, I will have another chance before the end of the summer. I had wanted to paint a sunset on site for such a long time. I am really excited to try it, because it will be a challenge to work so quickly as the changes in the sky and on the water happen in fast motion.

If you continue along the Ottawa River, there are many spots that are very picturesque. In May, my friend Janis, Helene, and I went to the end of Champlain Street in Orleans, where I painted the small swamp on the south side of the pathway.

 
Crisp Fall Morning, acrylic, 8" x 10"
Further to the south from the parkway is Mer Bleue, which is the largest bog and natural area in Canada’s Capital Region and the second largest bog in southern Ontario. It has a northern ecosystem that is more alike the Arctic than the Ottawa Valley.There are many nice trails in the Mer Bleue area where you can walk or go cross-country skiing and snowshoeing during the winter. I have painted several scenes from the boardwalk as well as at the beginning and end of the trail that leads to and from the boardwalk to the parking lot. The changes of the season and the weather make always make it an interesting outing for our painting group.

If you enjoyed my blog please share it with family and friends. For the next two weeks, I will present you with some more ideas for a staycation, if you are from the Ottawa region. I hope you make the most of the sunny summer days. Because of the amount of rain we had, the vegetation is especially lush this year.

If you are looking for original artworks to bring you continuous joy every time you look at them, I would like to let you know about my painting sale that I have in preparation for our move next year. Every Monday, one of my paintings will go on sale for a week, with a reduction of 15% off the original price. Shipping and handling fees are added, except if you pick up the artwork or live in the Orleans area. I usually do not discount my artworks, so this is a great way to buy an artwork you like while saving some money.


This week's painting is "19 3/4" x 27 1/2" acrylic painting on canvas "Quiet Country Life". The original price is $500. You have until next Monday, August 14, 2017 at noon to purchase it for $425. The sides of the painting are painted in the colours of the painting. This painting is from my early plein air painting days, when I still painted outside with acrylic paints. The fast drying time had the big advantage that I could work on a big painting like this without having to worry about any transportation issues.

To buy the painting, please send me an email to kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca. Payment can be made in cash, by check or e-transfer. Photos of each new painting are posted every Monday on my website www.KerstinPeters.ca as well as on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KerstinPetersPaintings/.


As promised here is a photo of my finished painting from the Humanics Institute Sculpture Park:

"Luscious Greens", acrylic, 12" x 9"


No comments:

Post a Comment