Dog

Dog

Friday 24 April 2015

Painting Trip to Val-David, Part II

Blog 16

This is part 2 of the travelogue of the trip to Val-David with the Plein Air Ensemble.


Sunday, April 12, 2015

Today was a gorgeous day. The sun was shining, the sky blue. It seemed like everyone had awoken from their hibernation. The streets in Val David were full of people walking and biking.

Park des Amoureux, 8" x 10"

Janis and I spent most of the day across from the hotel at the Campeau Street where we painted the creek off Lac Campeau.

In the early afternoon, we went to the Parc des Amoureux where it was so busy we could not find a parking spot. We took some photos along the river where we met one of the other artists, then returned to the park where we found a single parking space. The park was very busy although the path was still very icy. We walked around for a while, then set up our gear at opposite ends of the park.

 I pick the view towards an old bridge. It did not take too long before Janis came visiting me because she was surrounded by a people smoking pot. I had smelled something funny but did not think about drugs but was rather worried about meeting a skunk. Well, at least I was safe. I finished right in time to be able to prepare the cottage for Happy Hour. This time, we enjoyed a real treat by Mary, Bob, Louis, and Charlie who played rock, country, jazz, and blues songs for us. What a talented group of artists!

After dinner, it was time for our Trivial Pursuit - Art Edition. Our friend Helene spent hours preparing the game with art related questions. We had lots of fun even though the winning team was so dominant the other two teams did not have the slightest chance to threaten their win.


Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Janis and I are on our way home. We had another terrific day yesterday. The sun was shining the whole day. Janis and I went to Ste.-Agathe-des-Monts to paint the lake but the Lac des Sables was still completely covered in snow and ice and did not inspire us - at least not from the areas that were accessible to us. 

The Little Chapel at Lac Beauchamp, 8" x 10"
We continued our way towards Saint-Adolphe-D’Howard where we found the Lac Beauchamp. We had lunch first the set up our gear. As always, Janis was done with her first painting by the time I had blocked in my colours. Well she used a 5” x 7” board while I worked on an 8” x 10” board.

She moved down the road at some point and I only saw her again when she informed they were coming up with big machinery to grate the road. Fortunately, I was basically ready to pack in but still had to hurry to stow everything back in the car before they reached me.

As it was still early in the afternoon, Janis and I decided to look for another spot. We drove back towards Ste.-Agathe then took Montée Alouette towards Lac à la Truite which was also very unimpressive at this time of the year. The Lac de la Vielle Ménard on the other hand offered some very interesting view but unfortunately no spot where we could safely park and set up our easels. We continued to Val-Morin but did not see anything that caught our attention. By mistake we turned south to Sainte-Adèle where we took a photo of a nice spot of the Rivièce aux Mulets with rushing water and remnants of snow. Again there was no safe area to stay so we drove back to the hotel.

Promise of Spring, 7" x 5"
We went around the little lake behind the hotel where we found a little fall. Janis wanted to paint there while I wanted to go back to the side closest to the hotel. Unfortunately, Janis slipped with her equipment in the snow. That was her clue to pack it in for the day. I continued to paint my little 5” x 7”, then went happily back to our cottage.

During Happy Hour we had the pleasure of being entertained again by our talented musicians. The special treat of the day was, however, the show and tell after dinner. Everyone put at least some of their paintings up. I really enjoy seeing what everyone worked on during the stay. It is just very interesting to see everyone’s personal interpretation of what they saw. I especially enjoyed comparing the works of artists who worked at the same location.

While we were admiring our works, a big raccoon walked past the window. I don’t think I have ever seen such a big one. Unfortunately, no one was fast enough to take a photo of this big fellow.

It was just a great trip. The first trip I was on where we had two sunny and mild days. The group of artists was just a pleasure to be around and I am looking forward to our fall trip. For now, I hope it is time to finally put away all the winter clothes. The landscape looks very different from just a couple of days ago. Most of the snow is gone. It seems that spring is finally here. Let’s enjoy it and take the time to observe the fast awakening of nature.

If you enjoyed this blog, I invite you to visit my website www.KerstinPeters.ca. to see my latest works, find out about new exhibitions, my spring painting classes and workshops. If you would like to get all this information and more insights into my business sent to you by email, you can subscribe to my monthly newsletter at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment